Giving the classic cinnamon roll a little Autumn twist by adding pumpkin puree to the filling. The extra flavor bumps these bad boys up to another level of pumpkin spice deliciousness. The dough is homemade, so give yourself half an hour to make that and about half hour to an hour for it to rise. This recipe makes a lot of rolls because I know they are going to get snatched up so fast.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Serves: Makes 18 Rolls
Sweet Dough Ingredients (recipe from Basic Baking by Evelyn Raab)
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 tsp quick rise instant yeast (2 packets)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups of flour (only part of the flour) with the sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a small saucepan combine the milk, water, and butter. Heat until it is just uncomfortably warm to the touch, then add to the flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer or wooden spoon until it forms a stringy, sticky, gloppy batter.
- Add the eggs and then add the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, beating or stirring until it becomes to difficult to stir.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead by hand for 6 to 8 minutes, sprinkling with additional flour if necessary. When the dough is no longer sticky and feels like a damp earlobe, its ready.
- Place it in an oiled bowl, turning it over to oil the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double about 45 minutes.
Pumpkin Filling Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the Frosting
- 4-oz cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger; each
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cinnamon Roll Directions
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease two 8-inch cake pans with non-stick spray; set aside.
- Roll Sweet Dough out on a well-floured surface until about quarter inch thick.
- Using your fingers or a spoon, spread the melted butter evenly across the dough.
- In a small bowl, mix together pumpkin puree and milk.
- Again, with your finger or a spoon spread the pumpkin on top of the butter.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg on top of the dough, using enough to cover evenly.
- Roll up the dough as tightly as possible.
- Cut into 18 rolls and place about an inch a part in the pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
In the meantime prepare the frosting.
- Place cream cheese in your mixer’s bowl and cream for 1 minute.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar and continue to beat until well combined.
- Mix in pumpkin pie spice.
- Add vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Remove pans from oven and immediately brush each roll with frosting.