You have probably heard about the new trend in relaxation therapy – adult colouring books. When you are at Chapters it may seem like a huge money grab; selling colouring books for $20-30 but the complex designs are supposed to ease the person’s mind and be a de-stressing activity. I loved colouring as a kid and I am always looking for new ways to help my stress levels, so I thought I would give it a go.
According to psychologist Gloria Martínez Ayala via The Huffington Post, “The action involves both logic, by which we color forms, and creativity, when mixing and matching colors. This incorporates the areas of the cerebral cortex involved in vision and fine motor skills. The relaxation that it provides lowers the activity of the amygdala, a basic part of our brain involved in controlling emotion that is affected by stress.”
7 Reasons You Should be Colouring
- The creativity of the childhood past time brings you back to a less stressful time in your life.
- Can help lower anxiety.
- Helps increase attention span.
- According to clinical psychologist Ben Michaelis, coloring is a stress-free activity that relaxes the amygdala — the fear center of the brain.
- Colouring parties are a thing; increasing social activities and giving us another excuse to drink wine.
- Judgement-free zones; you don’t have to show anyone your colouring if you don’t want to.
- Makes you slow down and focus, you can’t just zip through the pages.