I don’t know about you but the last thing I want to do before I go away for the weekend is pack, mostly because I’m lazy and I always think I have more time than I do. I usually end up with either 3 suitcases and only wear one outfit all weekend, or I only bring one shirt and get it dirty the first day – the struggle is real. This is usually the result of not thinking about where I’m going or what I’m going to be doing and just packing because the car is pulling out of the driveway.
The long weekend is coming up and if you’re like me there is no way that you are packing until Thursday night or Friday morning at the last possible moment; not because you don’t have time to pack but because there are other things to do like watch Netflix or eat – am I right? Currently, I should be packing but instead I’m writing this blog, see the trend here? So if you are heading out for the long weekend and your suitcase is still nicely hidden in your closet, let me guide you in packing, the lazy girl way.
The key here is to bring items that are versatile, comfy but don’t look like you’re homeless. These are usually basics and items that don’t have to be ironed (I actually boycott buying clothes that require ironing). If you don’t have this already, keeping all your mini-sized toiletries in a travel bag makes packing that much easier, I even keep them in the airplane-approved plastic bag so that I can just throw them in and pull them out at security. Keeping them in a normal makeup bag is also acceptable, and you never need to use a mini toothpaste at home.
Depending on where you’re going or what you’re doing, you might need to add additional items like hiking shoes or a bathing suit, but for the average weekend getaway in Alberta, here’s my lazy girl’s guide to packing for the long weekend:
- Make sure all your tops match your bottoms. How I pack: I throw all my favourite clothes on the floor and make sure all the colours/patterns match (let’s be real I only bring black, white and grey items so this is easy). You can get more outfits out of your clothes if the pieces are interchangeable – picture it like one of those “1 pair of pants, 4 looks” articles.
- Pack the essentials. These include 1 tank top, 1 t-shirt, 1 button up, 1 pair of lulus, 1 pair of shorts. Bam. Done. I have been known to only bring this for a multiple day trip, and this only works if you’re perfectly not clumsy and don’t spill on yourself ever (aka not me). The goal is to actually pack for the actual number of days you’re going, not 3 months.
- Remember that you’ll be in photos. What is worse than getting your one shirt dirty? Looking like your trip all happened on the same day. What this also means is you can’t post more than one photo on Instagram because you will look the same in all photos. #instagramtings
- Keep it comfy. This is a given when travelling but never bring something you’ve never worn at home or wouldn’t want to sit for more than an hour in – that’s just not practical when travelling. Always pack a pair of Lulus or sweats for at night when you’re just lounging, jeans are not lounge-able.
- Don’t be a beauty queen. You’re going to be gone for a weekend, ONE weekend – you do not need a blow dryer and straightener and curling iron. Bring some dry shampoo to get you through the last day and you’re good to go. You also do not need to cake on makeup, you’ll just look silly. Bring your every day basics and that’s it.
Photos by Jenna Matthews | Check out her Instagram